Monday 30 May 2011

AIRFIX WESTLAND GAZELLE HELICOPTER 1/72 (COPTER MONTH).

Hello all,

This is a last ditch effort to get this in on time for "Copter month".
Like a naughty school boy doing his home work at the last hour over the summer holidays, I have dicked about with this for ever!
Finally it is off the work bench.
This has been a labour of "HATE", I have been torn between it working out great, to utter disaster.A roller coaster of fun and pain.Alright I am being a bit over dramatic about this one but why not!!!!This is the second bash at this kit which does not really give myself any excuses for cocking it up.Imagine what the first one looked like then.

Enough ranting, it's not a bad kit to build really, its just that I was coming to the end of a great painting streak.I know where I went wrong and will re-visit this kit.
I did learn a new technique though, and that was what the bloody hell "mediums" are for and how to use them.The exhaust pipe was brown and metal medium mixed together.
 This was the first model that I have coated with varnish which I think helped with the decals for a change.It would have looked to "Matt" otherwise and helicopters are more satin in finish.
The decals nearly end up being just a Falklands version without the orange panels, due to a few beers and getting confused which way they went.
I rescued one out of the bin when I worked out my error and luckily it was still usable.
The landing pad was printed of the Internet.The plan was going to be a bit elaborate than this but time ran out and the chopper was not worth doing the Falklands base that I was planning so I will save that for when I sell this one on EBay and buy another one.
Not chuffed with this one and glad to see the back of it to be honest.It has not put me off heli's at all, so watch this space.

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES FOR A LARGER VIEW AND ANY COMMENTS MORE THAN WELCOME.

Cheers for looking,   Rich.

3 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

Nice looking chopper (ooer madam)
If you thought that was bad...the word verification is..spodloadd!!!
Just a mo...when did you sneak those great looking Fallschirmjäger past me???
Cheers
Paul

Tim Gow said...

Well, you got there in the end - and it looks a damn sight better then my rendering of the same kit in 1979!

Paul said...

Crikey its a winner! Super work and just in time. Decals and beer do not mix.